Get Ready for Earth Day 2013, Coming Up Sunday, April 21! (Rain Date April 28)
While winter still lies before us, and April may seem a long, long way off, it’s coming right at us, and the Earth Day Coalition is kicking into gear, organizing for the 2013 Columbia Area Earth Day Festival. This will be our 24th consecutive year holding this event, and we hope it will be among the best ever.
To make that so, we invite your participation. Here are several options:
VOLUNTEER: Volunteering for the Earth Day Festival is a good way to get involved with other groups and individuals who are dedicated to improving environmental awareness.
If you or a group that you are affiliated with has interest in doing so, please visit the “Contact Us” page.
PARTICIPATE IN ECO AVENUE: Eco Ave. is at the heart of Earth Day. It is the central block in the Street Fair where we congregate the booths that are involved in sustainability education.
If your organization, agency or business fits the Eco Ave. criteria and is interested in getting a booth, please note that the application deadline is December 31, 2012. To download an application please CLICK HERE.
VOLUNTEER TO PERFORM: All performers at the Festival volunteer their time and talents. Musicians, dancers, spoken word artists and more are all encouraged to apply to be considered for inclusion on the schedule. The application deadline is December 31, 2012. To download and application please CLICK HERE.
Note that we always have more performers interested than slots available, so please don’t be disappointed if you are not selected this year. This said, we really appreciate your interest and would love to consider your act for inclusion.
PARTICIPATE IN THE STREET FAIR: Booth registration for all booths except Eco Ave. begins on February 1, 2013. If you had a booth last year and your e-address hasn’t changed, we will be sending you registration information immediately prior to this date. If you haven’t participated in the past, or if your e-address has changed, we would be happy to add you to the list to receive this info. Just send us a note to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: INFO ON OTHER PAGES ON THE SITE HAVE NOT YET BEEN UPDATED FOR 2013. We will do this as soon as possible. In the meantime, the information above is correct and current for Earth Day 2013.
Weather Update April 21, 2012
As you may have seen, the forecast for Sunday is not quite as promising as we’d earlier been led to expect.
Currently, both the National Weather Service and Weather.Com are saying there’s a 30% chance of precip, with the high getting up to only 59F.
The Weather Service says showers are most likely before noon. Weather.Com says the 30% possibility is throughout the afternoon.
We like to think that 30% chance of rain is a 70% chance of no rain.
We are moving ahead, as planned with the Festival, hoping for no rain or, that whatever rain we do get will move out of the area by noon, when the Festival begins.
We would suggest that everyone dress appropriate to the weather and attend as planned.
If there is a significant change in the forecast, we will take action very early in the morning to let everyone know. Otherwise, we are full speed ahead and hoping for an excellent Earth Day.
The Columbia Area Earth Day Festival is happening Sunday, April 22, 2012
April is a very exciting month. The whole world seems to be in bloom, all at once, and Earth Day is rapidly approaching.
We invite all of you to plan to attend the Columbia Area Earth Day Festival from noon to 7 p.m. on Sunday, April 22 (rain date April 29). If you explore this site, using the menu at your left you will find out all the details about this year’s festival.
The Schedule page will let you know who’s performing, and at approximately what time.
You can learn who will be exhibiting this year on Eco Ave and find links to all these organizations, agencies and businesses. You can likewise find the list of Earth Day Coalition member groups, and link to info about these organizations on the Members page.
Need a map, or want to find out about parking, we’ve got a page for that too. And, if you haven’t gotten your booth yet, you still can sign up (with a $10 late fee) right through 5 p.m., Thursday, April 19.
And, if you’d like to help as a volunteer we’d still love to have your help. Need to contact us? Just check the appropriate links.
You can sign up as attending the 2012 Earth Day Festival on Facebook by clicking HERE.
You can also like the Columbia Earth Day Coalition on FB by clicking HERE.
We also encourage you to help us get the word out regarding Earth Day. You can do this by inviting friends on Facebook. We’ve also posted PDFs of flyers for posting on bulletin boards and handouts to share at events, at work, at your house of worship, etc. Just click the Flyers & Handouts link.
Earth Day is a wonderful, grassroots community event. It is put together each year primarily by volunteers and on a shoestring budget. Still, hundreds of booths are set up, and many thousands of people attend. There’s something magical about a non-corporate, community-initiated, event like this.
Together, we make Earth Day happen. We have one Earth to live on. One Earth to share. One Earth to care for. Join us in celebrating the Earth and renewing our commitment to creating a workable, just and sustainable future for all.
See you at Earth Day!
Thanks, everyone, for your interest, support and participation.
CALL FOR PERFORMERS
Download the Earth Day Entertainment Application here. All bands or musicians who would like to perform at Earth Day must have the application completed by Dec. 31, 2011.
Questions? Contact Sam D’Agostino at email@example.com or (573) 289-2492.